Fulbright- Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowships 2014- 2015 in U.S.
United Slates-India Educational Foundation (USIEF) invites applications for FFulbright- Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowships 2014 from Indian citizens residing in India, including students, college/university (acuity, researchers, school teachers, policy planners, administrators, and professionals.
Fulbright-Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowships are designed for scholars who are registered for a Ph.D. at an Indian institution. These fellowships are for six to nine months.
Applications from all disciplines will be considered. Priority fields are: Agricultural Sciences; Economics; Education; Energy, Sustainable Development and Climate Change; Environment; International Relations; Management and Leadership Development; Media and Communications with focus on Public Service Broadcasting; Public Administration; Public Health; Science and Technology; Study of India with focus on contemporary issues; and Study of the United States. For Study of India or the Study of the United States (American Studies) the areas could include: language and literature, history, government, economics, society and culture, religion, and film studies.
You will be affiliated to one U.S. host institution for your grant. USIEF stronglyrecommends all applicants to identify institutions with which they wish to be affiliated and to correspond, in advance, with potential host institutions. If you have secured a letter of invitation from a U.S. institution, please include it as a part of your application.
The fellowships provide a monthly stipend, Accident and Sickness Program for Exchanges per U.S. Government guidelines, round-trip economy class air travel, applicable allowances and modest affiliation fees, if any. Selected scholars will have opportunities to audit non-degree courses, conduct research and gain practical work experience in suitable settings in the U.S. No allowances are provided for dependents. The grant is not sufficient to support family members.
The applicant should:
- be a responsible Indian citizen who can contribute to a full and fair picture of the culture and civilization of India, and thereby help to promote understanding and friendship between the peoples of the United States of America and India;
- have a high level of academic/professional achievement;
- demonstrate proficiency in the English language to undertake the proposed project/program and adjust to life in the US. The applicant may be required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL);
- be present in India at the time of submitting the application and interview, if required. If you will be abroad, please keep us informed.
- be eligible for leave, if employed;
- be in good health;
- not be residing in the United States;
- not be applying for or holding permanent residence (green card) in the United States;
- preference will be given to candidates who have not had extensive recent US experience; and
- should give an undertaking to return to India on the completion of the fellowship.
- should have done adequate research in the relevant field, especially in the identification of resources in India and the U.S. They should be registered for their Ph.D.s at an Indian institution at least one year prior to the date of application and should enclose a certificate from their Ph.D. supervisor commenting on their research work and the usefulness of the fellowship, and indicating the Ph.D. registration date;
- Your expected Ph.D. thesis submission date should not be earlier than three months after your Fulbright-Nehru grant end date. For example, if May 2015 is your grant end date, you cannot submit your thesis before August 2015;
- should apply through proper channel if employed; and
- should enclose a ‘writing sample’ which could be a copy of an article or paper published/presented or extracts from the M.Phil. thesis.
Note: These fellowships are for pre- doctoral level research. Applications from scholars/professionals with Ph.D. degrees or at the final stage of thesis submission will not be considered.
Application deadline: 01-07-2013